Tuesday 8 March 2011

Rehumanize Yourself

And on the seventh day god updated his facebook status. 'Finished making the world lol, brb resting'. The eptitome of humanity is refreshing a page to see the pointless goings on in people's lives. It irritates me a little when people claim that social media is the future of news, and that we'll no longer need journalists. Of course we get vital information from Twitter. But for every piece of original news, there will be another hundred or so people copying said piece of news. Even worse is when something gets misinterpreted, or news is simply invented. The 'I will not pay to use facebook as of sept 7th 2010' group, for example, has 13,619 members. At first you think that it absurd that so many people can be so gullible/thick. But then you look at the posts friends have made and then you aren't surprised in the least.

Relationship status - I'm being stalked by
three eighties superstars

Out of said stupid posts, there are a few different categories. There's the 'Look at me, I'm doing an essay' group. '50 words down, 2,450 to go lol'/'Arrgh dam this essay is goin to be the death of me lol'. Or even worse if a whole group of people are doing an essay. An endless conversation ensues in the posts about how stuck they are, and how they don't know what to do! Hilarious! Because actually e-mailing a lecturer or looking up more information for the piece would be a waste of time, eh? There's also the endless lovey dovery bullshit people like to publicly display. 'luv u babe xxx'/x is in a relationship with y 'oh so cute x u go great together'. My personal favourite, however, is the meaningless lyrics people put up. 'Am I going insane?/My blood is boiling inside of my veins/An evil feeling attacks/My body’s shaking there’s no turning back/don't take your eyes off the trigger'. The lyricist was probably using it as a metaphor for taking heroin (don't they always?) but yet someone on my friend's list thought that was relevant to their life. When people like a melody to a song, they tend to the take the lyrics a little too close to their heart. I like clever lyrics as much as the next person, but I'd rather you listen to it than tell me. At the end of the day, the lyricist was probably spouting a load of babble that fitted the music. Reminds me of people that interpret 'Every Breath you Take' as a love song when in fact, it's about a stalker. Hoorah.


First newsday tomorrow! Been hyping this up for ages so *gasp* I may actually do a blog post about it afterwards. It's online news tomorrow for our group, and I'm going to be sitting back at the university typing up stories, as some of the others in our group find stuff to report on. We (me and one other person out of 10) have had found a couple of events that are happening tomorrow that we can report on, but we'll be relying on someone getting stabbed on the day or something for some exciting updates. Lunch now, then a final group meeting before tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I try not to spend too much time on Facebook. I feel like it just dumbs down my IQ.

    I have to tell you, you hit the nail on the head. However, to go along with the song lyric poster, I might also add the passive aggressive comment poster.

    "You lied to me for the last time, you broke my heart, and now you've lost my trust. Call me if you ever decide to grow up and be a MAN."

    First off, we all know who you're talking about, especially when your page says "IS IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH JOHN Q SMITH." Second off, why not tell him this to his face instead of telling him on Facebook? Which brings me to the third point, why would you want to air your dirty laundry on Facebook?

    I feel like I was better off not knowing that the girl I sat next to in 2nd grade has a husband with a gambling problem who once cheated on her with a bartender on a cruise ship.

    ReplyDelete